When a person eats shellfish, his or her immune system may respond abnormally to the proteins in these animals. This includes crab, oysters, shrimp, scallops, lobsters, and squid. The response of the immune system may be mild or it could be very severe and threaten the person’s life. As a result, any person who believes they may be allergic to these marine animals should see a doctor (https://allergysiouxfalls.com) today.
A person may first notice symptoms within minutes of eating shellfish or the response could be delayed up to an hour. Hives or eczema appear or the individual could begin itching. Nasal congestion has been reported along with wheezing and difficulty breathing. The individual might feel faint, lightheaded, or dizzy and pain in the abdomen, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea have all been reported. The tongue, throat, face or lips may also begin to swell and eating shellfish has been known to cause anaphylaxis and could lead to death. For this reason, any reaction to shellfish should be reported to a doctor immediately.
The symptoms of anaphylaxis vary by person. The person may feel dizzy or lightheaded and might even lose consciousness. The blood pressure could drop significantly and lead to shock or the person’s throat may swell or develop a lump that makes it hard to breathe. If this happens, the person needs medical treatment right away.
Having family members with a shellfish allergy puts a person more at risk of developing this condition. Adults are more likely to have this issue, especially women. However, boys are more prone to a shellfish allergy than girls when talking about children and this allergy.
The easiest way to prevent problems is to avoid eating those shellfish that are known to cause a reaction. Even a trace amount can lead to the development of symptoms. Be careful when eating at a restaurant as cross-contamination may occur. Be sure to read labels when purchasing food in a store and try to avoid those places where shellfish is processed or prepared.
Anyone who is allergic to shellfish should consider carrying emergency epinephrine with them at all times. This medication allows the individual more time to obtain medical care upon coming into contact with this allergen. Speak to a doctor (https://allergysiouxfalls.com) today to undergo allergy testing and develop a treatment plan. Your life may depend on doing so.